As promised, here is a recap of last Saturday's 5c05 single member district meeting. Sorry for the delay. Let me know if you have any questions.
Buwa Binitie & Bo Menkiti (1831 2nd Street Development)
Ramin Bassam (329 Rhode Island Ave)
Stephen Miller ( Metropolitan Branch Trail Update)
1831 2nd Street Development Update-
- Buwa Binitie and Bo Menkiti presented on behalf of "2nd Street Community Partners"
- The Development team is comprised of Menkiti Group and Dantes Partners LLC. Both are Ward 5 Businesses.
- Some of Menkiti Groups' recent projects include. The Drew 3318 Sherman Ave, NW and The Ilora 400 Evarts Street NE.
- A recent project completed by Dantes Partners, is The Residences at Georgia Ave, 4100 Georhia Ave, NW.
- The group will be partnering with McKinley Tech and Sasha Bruce during the project.
- All units will be for sale
- 35 units total
- 11 units will be designated as workforce housing, for residents making below 60% AMI. 4 efficiencies & 7 1 bedrooms
- Affordable units will be priced around $140,000.
- Prices for market rate units are not available yet.
- The property has not been transferred over from DHCD yet. Development team hopes to have acquired the property by late summer and begin construction in October. With a completion date near .
- Residents will use current on street parking. There is no space to provide additional parking
- Most of the outside architecture will remain the same.
- The development team will be out to additional community meetings as the project progresses.
329 Development Update-
This update will be rescheduled for a later date.
Metropolatin Branch Trail Update-
- Stephen Miller from Rails to Trails Conservancy gave the update.
- The trail recently received its second installment of trees through a partnership with local non-profit Casey Trees.
- A total of 30 trees were planted.
- Eckington will soon be getting neighborhood specific trail signs. The signs will be posted on lamp post throughout the community and will give cyclist directions to the trail.
- A photo of the Eckington signs are attached.
- The MBT 5k will be held May, 14th at
- email@example.com or . has partnered with Kaiser to provide a limited number of free adult registrations for Ward 5 Residents. Contact Kelly Pack for more info.
- Youth under 18 are free.
- The race is open to runners and walkers of all ages and skill.
- You can register online at gometbranch.com
In the weeks leading up to this meeting I received a great deal of emails from residents who were concerned about the dramatic decrease in retail space in the project. Most residents stated they want to see enough retail space to accommodate a restaurant or tavern. Here are a few comments and questions from the meeting.
- The 1200 sq ft could be used for a smaller specialty store that offers something other than food.
- This side of Eckington can sustain it's own restaurant based on the increased density created by the project and the lack of evening offerings in NoMa.
- What happened to the additional 13,500 sq ft of retail space? How was it transferred throughout the rest of the project? Was it just reduced when the project was scaled down? (These are all questions I hope to have answers to at the next meeting)
- The community already has enough convenient stores. Why add another one?
- A convenient store that offered more fresh foods would be ideal.
" at Your Door" to kick off soon-
Over the next few weekends I will be out knocking on 5c05 residents doors to hear their concerns and to continue building the partnerships that will continue to make our community a safer, happier and healthier place to live. I will be posting a schedule to this list and on my blog.
Meeting was adjourned at .